We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Are jade plants toxic to dogs? I would like to purchase one for my 10 yr old dog, but don't know if I should bother or not.
I read in some of your posts that some of your dogs have died after being with jade plants. Can any one tell me if this is true? My dog, B, is not too friendly with her, and has become pretty withdrawn since her family moved to their new home. I don't think it's the new environment as I have never heard her whine or bark. The house that she lives in is the old house. The new house is about 15ft away from the old one, but the old one has 3 small bedrooms and 3 big yards with jade plants. We have never had a problem until now.
The jade plant is a small plant that has a yellow stem and leaves. It grows in shallow water and needs lots of sun. I am planning on getting one for my B, but I don't know if she will be able to tolerate the plant, as she doesn't really like the smell of jade.
I really don't want her to go out if her mind. I don't think that she is that ill, as she has never shown any signs of sickness. However, when I ask her what's wrong, she always comes and sits on my lap. She seems to be a little withdrawn, but I don't know if this is because of the move or not. I have never seen her cry. I don't think she will be able to go into the garden to chase the cats, as she hates the cats.
I am not too sure of how to handle this, as I never had this problem. I have never heard of dogs being poisoned by jade plants, so I have no idea if they are toxic or not. Would a jade plant be poisonous if it were ingested by a dog?
Please help! I really want to keep my dog with me, as I have been her only companion.
p.s. B is my only dog. I don't really have any cats, as I have to keep her safe from the cats, as I don't want them to be jealous of B.
I can tell you what I know, and it sounds like it's not from the move to your new house, it's something about your dog.
My dog is 10 years old and she has been with jade plants for the last 2 years. She used to get some kind of stomach bug. It's pretty much every year, and it would last a few weeks or months. She'd be up all night long, running to the bathroom, but then it would clear up and she'd be ok. This past year she got better for about 2 weeks then it hit her agn. My other dog, a golden retriever/husky mix, was with her a lot and he was fine. He got a little bit of jade, and his face was swollen and he had some kind of diarrhea for a week or two, but he got better too.
I think they are safe as long as they don't chew on the jade and swallow it.
I think you're going to have to make a decision to either get rid of the jade plant or get rid of your dog. The other option is not getting rid of the jade, but keeping the dog safe. If your dog chews on it and swallows it, she could very well end up like your other dog, or worse.
I'm not 100% sure about your problem, but it does sound like it's something in the water jade is growing in. The jade plants I have been around were always growing in water in little ponds.
You could try placing your jade plants outside to see if it affects your dog any. I have one jade plant right outside my house that I brought in from outside. I don't know what it is or what kind it is, but it was growing in a large pot that it didn't fit in yet. It's growing in about a 1/2 inch of water. I noticed my dog had a hard time getting close to it when it was out in the sun, but that was it. She's been going in and out of the water to play. It's not a big deal for her. She doesn't like the jade smell, but she never chews on it or eats it.
I'm sure there's more I could say, but that's all I know for sure.
I was wondering how my dog was doing because I can't see her that much, I think because she is getting into trouble.
I went to the vet on Friday and they gave her an appetite stimulant and some liquid medicine for the diarrhea. The diarrhea seemed to be gone for the weekend, but when I went to work on Monday, she was not doing too good. I took her to the vet agn that same day, and the diarrhea was still going on. They gave her an anti-diarrhea pill and gave her some liquid medicine to drink. When she had to go to the bathroom, she seemed to have some gas or pn in her abdomen, which made her very ill. The vet took some x-rays of her and sd that she has an infected intestine and that they are doing an endoscopy on her on Wednesday. I think they may have to take her to the emergency room, because it seems to be getting worse. I hope that she is ok, because she is a good dog and I don't want her to be sick for too long. I can't see her that much, since we have moved out of our apartment, and the kids are out of school.
Thanks for all your help! I think she just needs some time to get back to normal. I don't want to give up on her. I will do what the vet says, but I don't want to get her sick in any way.
Thank you, Carmen! I can't believe she has been so ill the last 2 weeks. She has been going to the bathroom a lot